Healthy Family | Home Safety | Health and Wealth | Relationship Issues | Career Advice | Growing Family
Get the SixWise e-Newsletter FREE!
Google Web
Free Newsletter Subscription
Get the Web's Most trusted & Informative Health, Wealth, Safety & More Newsletter -- FREE!


Share Email to a Friend Print This

How to Recognize and Treat 7 Different Bug Bites

Summer is just around the corner, and with all of the backyard BBQs, picnics and outdoor festivals comes one of the season's inevitable nuisances: bugs.

outdoor bug bites

Fortunately, most bug bites are harmless, so you can enjoy your time outdoors in peace.

Most insect bites cause only minor irritations, but it's possible to have a more serious reaction, such as an allergic reaction or Lyme disease. So, knowing how to recognize different bites can save you a lot of unnecessary worry, or let you know that it's time to seek help.

Here we've listed some of the most common bug bites you may encounter this summer, along with how to best treat them.

1. Mosquito

After a mosquito bites you, some saliva remains in the wound, causing an immune response to occur. The bite will typically swell and itch until your immune system can break down the saliva.

Mosquito bites are generally itchy red bumps that can range in size from very small to 1/2 inch. You can treat mosquito bites naturally using a paste made of baking soda and a small amount of water. Apply the paste to the bite, and apply a bandage over it to prevent yourself (or your child) from scratching the area.

children bug bites

An excellent, natural remedy to treat insect bites of all types is a simple paste made from baking soda and water. It's safe for everyone, including children.

2. Bees, Wasps, Yellow Jackets, Hornets

A bee sting will leave a painful red bump, which may have a black dot inside of it if the stinger was left behind. If you see a stinger, remove it immediately using a pair of tweezers.

To clean the sting, use a bit of hydrogen peroxide, then apply an ice pack to reduce swelling. If the discomfort persists, you can apply the baking soda paste described above.

For those who are allergic to the venom, a sting can result in a life-threatening allergic reaction that can cause hives, difficulty breathing and swallowing, hoarseness, swelling of the tongue, dizziness and fainting. Emergency care is necessary in these cases. Because the venom of each insect varies, it's possible to be allergic to a bee sting but not to a wasp sting, and so on.

3. Tick

Tick bites are painless and do not itch, but the tick will remain at the site and embed itself in your skin. To remove a tick, use tweezers to grab the tick as close to your skin as possible, and pull it upward with even pressure. The completely pesticide-free and safe Flea 'n Tick B Gone can also be sprayed directly onto the tick to help with removal.

Ticks can also bite your pets. If you're looking for a safe tick (and flea) treatment for your pets, highly recommends Flea 'n Tick B Gone. Unlike the other flea and tick treatments on the market, Flea 'n Tick B Gone does not contain harmful pesticides or chemicals, such as DEET, pyrethrins, synthetic pyrethroids or permethrin, all of which can be harmful and irritating to your pet, the person applying them and our environment.

4. Chigger (Harvest Mites)

These mites are most common in the Southern United States. Their bites typically occur on the legs or along the beltline, and they show up as very itchy, small red bumps that may appear similar to chickenpox.

The site should be cleaned using hydrogen peroxide, and treated with an anti-itch cream such as calamine lotion or Quret Drawing Salve.

Keep Insects Safely Away From Your Backyard

Flea 'n Tick B Gone is an all-natural, completely non-toxic insect repellant that will keep pests -- including fleas, ticks, ants, spiders, bees, flies and more -- away from your backyard. Simply mist the area prior to going outside, and you can picnic, entertain or relax in peace (and free of pests) for at least three hours!

Flea 'n Tick B GoneFlea 'n Tick B Gone is:

  • 100% Pesticide Free and Non-Toxic
  • Clinically proven to be highly effective
  • A Great Value! It is economically priced
  • Can also be used for your pets, on bedding and in other pet areas of the home -- Simply lightly spray in these areas
  • Can safely be used as a preventive against fleas and ticks: Regular use can naturally break life cycle of fleas
  • Controls/Stops other in-home pests like ants, bees, flies and more
  • Reduces risk of infections, dermatitis and itching
  • Safely removes fleas, ticks, lice and other pests from your yard

Find Out More About
Flea 'n Tick B Gone Now!

5. Spider

Most spider bites are not serious. The only poisonous spiders in the United States are the black widow spider and the brown recluse spider. If you're bitten by one of these spiders, you may experience muscle pain, sweating, nausea, vomiting, headache or high blood pressure within three to 12 hours. In this case, you should go to the emergency room immediately.

6. Flea

Fleas bite dogs, cats, humans and other animals to feed on their blood. An adult flea feeds on blood more than once a day.

Flea bites themselves are red and very itchy. On humans they typically occur on the ankles and legs. Fortunately, the fleas typically found in homes are "just a nuisance," according to Marcia Larkins, D.V.M., chief of the companion and wildlife drugs branch in the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine. "They generally cause a lot of itching and scratching. They may also cause some discomfort due to possible allergic flea bite dermatitis."

Once fleas are in your home, be sure to vacuum all carpets, floors and upholstered furniture every day for at least several weeks (dispose of the vacuum cleaner bag after each cleaning so the fleas don't crawl out). This will go a long way toward getting rid of the fleas as quickly as possible.

7. Fire Ants

Fire ant stings are painful and also contain toxins that can be dangerous in large amounts, or to small children. Once you have cleaned the area with soap and water, it can be treated with a medicated cream to relieve pain -- but should be watched for signs of infection or allergic reaction like trouble breathing or swelling.

Eventually, a blister will develop over the bite. When this happens, do not break the blister as this could lead to infection or scarring.

Recommended Reading

Bugs that Bite: Interesting Facts & Necessary Precautions on the Insects That Crave You

Which Pest Insects Pose Dangers to You (and Which are Just Merely Gross)?

Sources Bites & Stings

Podiatry Today

To get more information about this and other highly important topics, sign up for your free subscription to our weekly "Be Safe, Live Long & Prosper" e-newsletter.

With every issue of the free newsletter, you’ll get access to the insights, products, services, and more that can truly improve your well-being, peace of mind, and therefore your life!

Share Email to a Friend Print This